The application window for this position has closed. Thank you for your interest.
HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
TITLE: Adult Services Manager
HOURS: Full Time Exempt - 40 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Public Services Manager
PAY: Salary starting at $49,920, commensurate with experience
Supervises and manages the operations of Adult Services for the library, which includes: reference services, circulation services, material selection, and adult programming and instruction. Shares responsibilities with the other reference librarians and library assistants to provide a variety of services to assist the library’s patrons and ensure quality service and operation according to library policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and monitors Adult Services activities, schedules the staff work flow responsible for assisting the library’s patrons and organizing and maintaining the library materials.
- Provides various reference services to patrons seeking information; utilizes various resources to answer questions; assists in locating materials and instructs patrons in the use of library materials, online resources and technology: ensures that patrons receive results to their satisfaction.
- Participates in the interviewing and selection of new employees; maintains responsibility for the training and development of staff and conducts performance evaluations of staff.
- Interacts with the public in person or by phone regarding patron service and collection issues and ensures more sensitive problems are resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned; handles the more complex of such matters.
- Assists staff in resolving questions or problems concerning library materials or service to patrons to ensure that quality service is provided to the patrons.
- Develops department policies and procedures for approval, with respect to the physical handling of materials, and implements and administers to ensure adherence to them.
- Prepares the department’s budget, performs various administrative duties, meets regularly with staff and holds regular department meetings, serves on committees and compiles statistics and reports for the library, and communicates with the Public Services Manager on a regular basis.
- Attends workshops and professional conferences and reads various professional journals and library listservs to keep current with library trends, developments, and new technology.
- Manages the cash handling and reporting functions.
- Consults on adult programming with the Marketing Manager to ensure programs have been well planned and executed by coordinator; may assist with the facilitation of programs, and monitors assigned budgets to ensure that programming coordinator is within budget.
- Oversees the development and the maintenance of the overall Adult collection within the designated budget; utilizes various resources, including direct patron contact to ensure a variety of current and appropriate materials are available for use by the library’s patrons. Analyzes and maintains the collection using various tools.
- Provides Reader’s Advisory. May assist patrons with genealogical and local history resources.
- Promotes new electronic resources and services utilizing a variety of media and trains staff and public on use. Directs preparation of and may lead basic computer training or “book a librarian” sessions for patrons and, with librarians, oversees the adult computers.
- Oversees the collection and staffing of the Local History Room.
- Responsible for library staff and operations in absence of the Director or Public Services Manager.
- Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best interest of the Library.
Education, Experience and Certification:
Master's degree (ALA-accredited MLS degree or equivalent) and three to ten years related experience. Must possess or be able to acquire State of Indiana Librarian Certificate 2. Must have a valid U.S driver’s license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite; Comfortable with modern Internet browsers as well as basic knowledge of email; Ability to work in a Mac and PC environment - basic computer troubleshooting skills are a plus; Mobile Devices including eReaders; Experience with an Integrated Library System (ILS) software and RFID technology, including automated handling, is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or listen and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee will frequently move book carts up to 300 pounds.
The work environment is a general office/library environment.
Budget responsibility, quality of service and quality of adult collection (printing & electronic), oversight and training of direct reports. Is responsible for the cash handling functions and the quality of customer service; accountable that staff is trained in all essential circulation functions. Effectively and efficiently manages staff in order to ensure timely processing and handling of all material.
Supervises the Access Services Department staff including interviewing, hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining employee(s) if needed. Also supervises any branch managers.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.