HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
Please apply by Friday, November 29, 2019.
HOURS: Full Time, 40 hrs/week
REPORTS TO: Access Services Manager
SCHEDULE: Weekdays, with one evening per week and one weekend per month
This position provides librarian-level services in the Access Services department of the library.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides various reference services for the patrons; utilizes various resources to answer questions; assists in locating materials and instructs patrons in the use of library materials, online resources, and technology: ensures that patrons receive results to their satisfaction.
- May develop a collection for the department within designated budget; selects and orders for adult collection within the designated budget; utilizes various resources, including direct patron contact to ensure a variety of current and appropriate materials are available for use by the library’s patrons. Analyzes and maintains the collection using various tools.
- Provides Readers Advisory. May assist patrons with genealogical and local history resources.
- Performs various administrative tasks as needed or assigned. Attends staff and department meetings; may take meeting minutes.
- Attends workshops and professional conferences and reads various professional journals to keep current with library trends, developments and new technology.
- May assist Information Technology staff in directing patrons on computers. May lead basic computer training or “Book a Librarian” sessions for patrons and, with Access Services Manager, oversees the adult computers.
- May be responsible for library staff and operations on nights and weekends (act as Librarian in charge) in the absence of the Director, Assistant Director, and the Access Services Manager.
- Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best interest of the library.
Education, Experience and Certification:
Master's degree (ALA-accredited MLS degree or equivalent). Must possess or be able to acquire State of Indiana Librarian Certificate 3. Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Microsoft Office Suite 2013 or newer (Excel, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook) - experience with GSuite is a plus.
- Comfortable with modern Internet browsers, web-based email, and basic computer troubleshooting.
- Familiar with mobile devices, including eReaders.
- Skills to work in a Mac & PC environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or listen and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee will frequently move book carts up to 300 pounds.
The work environment is a general office/library environment.
Adhere to budget responsibilities as assigned by the Department Manager; required to manage and maintain the quality of collections.
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but may act as librarian in charge.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.