The application window for this position has closed. Thank you for your interest.
HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
TITLE: Library Assistant
HOURS: Part Time 25 hrs/wk
PAY RATE: $10/hr ($15/hr on Sundays)
REPORTS TO: Access Services Manager
SCHEDULE: Mon 5-9, Tue 1-5, Wed 8-12 or 1-5, Thu 1-6, rotating weekends
ROTATING WEEKEND SCHEDULE: Week 1, 2 & 4 Fri 8-5, Week 3 Sat 8-5 & Sun 12-4
This position is primarily responsible for performing circulation and clerical functions to serve the library's patrons in a friendly manner and to maintain circulation of the library’s various materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets and assists patrons in meeting their needs during their visit to the Library, including utilizing the ILS system to circulate outgoing materials and check in incoming materials.
- Performs other patron services including basic computer searches for materials, putting items on reserve, signing patrons up for programs, and registering patrons for new or renewed library cards.
- Answers any patron account-related questions and collects fines on overdue accounts.
- Answers phone calls to address questions or direct to the appropriate party.
- Maintains a positive and friendly attitude when dealing with the public.
- Performs functions to keep library materials organized, including arranging books on carts for proper shelving, securing items in cases, shelving, shelf reading and periodic dusting of shelves.
- Attends staff and department meetings; may take meeting minutes.
- Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best interest of the library.
Education, Experience and Certification:
High school diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE). Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite 2013 or newer; Comfortable with IE, Firefox and Chrome as well as basic knowledge of email; Basic computer troubleshooting skills is a plus; Mobile Devices including eReaders and basic RFID and material sorting equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or listen and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee will frequently move book carts up to 300 pounds.
The work environment is a general office/library environment.
Is responsible for accurate handling of payment transactions and maintains confidentiality.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.