The application window for this position has closed. Thank you for your interest.
HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
TITLE: Outreach Library Assistant
HOURS: Part Time, 25 hours per week
PAY RATE: $15/hr
SCHEDULE: Mon, Tues, Thurs: 8-4:30, one Fri and one Sat 8-4 per month
REPORTS TO: Outreach Manager
Performs a variety of circulation and clerical functions to assist the Outreach department with providing the public access to the library’s materials and services in a friendly manner. Loads, unloads, and drives the Bookmobile. Performs contactless deliveries to those requesting service. Performs basic inspection and maintenance of the Bookmobile to ensure proper vehicle performance and safety.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets and assists patrons in meeting their needs during their visit to the mobile library, including utilizing the ILS system to circulate outgoing materials and check in incoming materials.
- Directly performs other patron services or coordinates with the main and branch library as needed to provide services to include searching for materials, putting items on reserve and notifying when available, registering patrons for new or renewed library cards and answering and routing phone calls.
- Drives the Bookmobile to various locations as indicated by the schedule and to garage for repairs and preventive maintenance.
- Drives Outreach van to make contactless deliveries requested by at-home patrons or to deliver collections of materials.
- Ensures that mobile library materials are kept in good condition; cleans and repairs or forwards to main library for repair as needed.
- Performs support functions relative to outreach programming, such as story times and senior programming.
- Represents the library and Outreach department at community events such as parades that include Bookmobile participation.
- Maintains a positive and friendly attitude when dealing with the public and staff.
- Attends staff and department meetings; may take meeting minutes.
- Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best interest of the library.
Education, Experience and Certification:
High school diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE) and one to three months experience and/or training. Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite, G Suite, email, and Mobile Devices including eReaders. Experience with an Integrated Library System (ILS) software preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or listen and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee will frequently move book carts up to 300 pounds.
The work environment is a general office/library environment. Will occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions.
This position is responsible for providing quality customer service and maintaining confidentiality.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.