Please apply by December 13
HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
TITLE: Youth Services Library Assistant
HOURS: Part Time 25 hrs/wk
REPORTS TO: Youth Services Manager
SCHEDULE: Mon 12-9, Wed 8-5 or 10-4, Thu 8-1, Fri 12-6 or 12-4 (except when working Sat/Sun)
ROTATING WEEKEND SCHEDULE: Sat 12-4 & Sun 12-4 every 3rd weekend
Assists the Youth Services Manager and Youth Services staff to ensure that children, teens, and the adults who serve them have access to a well-rounded collection of materials. Responsible for presenting programs for the youth of the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regularly assists the department’s patrons in locating desired materials; provides first level reference and reader’s advisory help; is readily available to answer questions, may conduct tours, and assists with equipment usage.
- Plans and presents programs throughout the year, including outreach.
- Supports collection development by keeping department materials organized and presentable; shelf reads; shelves materials; weeds; and reviews materials for damage or replacement.
- Maintains both routine clerical duties and specialized tasks to support the department.
- Performs tasks to keep the physical appearance of the department neat and attractive; creates displays throughout Youth Services.
- Attends staff and department meetings; may take meeting minutes.
- Responsible for a minimum of ten hours of continuing education each year.
- Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best interest of the library.
Education, Experience and Certification:
Associates degree or 2 years of college and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience with youth. Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite 2013 or newer; Comfortable with modern Internet browsers as well as basic knowledge of email; Ability to work in a Mac and PC environment - basic computer troubleshooting skills are a plus; Mobile Devices including eReaders; Experience with a Integrated Library System (ILS) software preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or listen and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee will frequently move book carts up to 300 pounds.
The work environment is a general office/library environment.
Responsible to provide quality customer service.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.