HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
TITLE: Children's Librarian
HOURS: Full Time Exempt - 40 hours per week, with one evening per week and a weekend in rotation.
REPORTS TO: Youth Services Manager
PAY: Salary starting at $41,808
Works with Youth Services Manager to ensure that patrons of the youth areas have access to a well-rounded collection of materials. Responsible for arranging and presenting programs for the youth of the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains the children’s collection by reviewing, selecting and weeding materials to ensure a variety of current and appropriate materials are available for use.
- Plans, implements, promotes and presents programs throughout the year, including outreach programming to schools and daycares.
- Collaborates with Youth Services staff to provide effective service to patrons of the youth areas.
- Regularly assists Youth Services' patrons in locating desired materials; provides reference and reader’s advisory help; is readily available to answer questions, conduct tours, and assist with equipment usage.
- Performs a variety of circulation, clercal, and readers' advisory functions to assist the youth department with providing the public access to the library's materials and services in a friendly manner.
- Performs functions to keep department materials organized and presentable; reviews the shelves periodically to ensure that books are filed in correct order, shelves materials; reviews materials for damage and or replacement.
- Attends workshops and professional conferences and reads various professional journals and library listservs to keep current with library trends, developments and new technology. Attends staff and department meetings; may take meeting minutes.
- Performs other functions assigned to position to ensure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best interest of the library.
Education, Experience and Certification:
Master's degree (ALA-accredited MLS degree or equivalent). Must possess or be able to acquire State of Indiana Librarian Certificate 3. Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Microsoft Office; comfortable with modern internet browsers as well as basic knowledge of email; Ability to work in a Mac and PC environment - basic computer troubleshooting skills is a plus; Mobile Devices including eReaders; Experience with Integrated Library System (ILS) software, SirsiDynix preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or listen and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee will frequently move book carts up to 300 pounds.
The work environment is a general office/library environment. Will occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions.
Adhere to budget responsibilities as assigned by the Youth Services Manager; required to manage and maintain the quality of collections.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.