Policy Regarding Use Of Rooms
For Non-Library-Sponsored Activities
Room reservation requests are handled through our online Room Reservation Calendar.
Use of Rooms Policy
The Hancock County Public Library makes certain space available for use to non-library sponsored activities by civic, cultural, governmental, educational, political, or religious groups for non-commercial and non-profit purposes. Both the meeting and study rooms and the computer lab are available for such use; all other library space is reserved for library-sponsored activities.
Admission may not be charged, donations may not be solicited, and products and/or services may not be sold. The rooms may not be used for fundraising events.
Our Greenfield building offers the GBC Community Room, capacity 200 persons, which can be used as one large room or separated into two rooms. Study rooms, capacity 6, 8, or 12, are also available at the Central Library.
Our New Palestine building offers the Eli Lilly Technology Room, capacity 32 persons.
- Groups’ use of meeting and study rooms must not interfere in the library’s operations or minimize or disrupt the use and enjoyment of the library by its patrons.
- The library does not promote or endorse the views of any particular group or its policies, practices, or principles, irrespective of the forum in which they are presented.
- Meeting rooms cannot be used for:
- Personal and family activities
- Promoting or conducting gambling activity
- Any illegal activity
- The final decision pertaining to the use of the meeting and study rooms will rest with the Director. The library may impose reasonable time, place, and restrictions on the use of library meeting and study rooms.
- No alcoholic beverages, use of tobacco or illegal drugs are permitted anywhere on library property.
- No office supplies are included with room rental. Coin operated public copiers and fee based FAX service is available.
- Users must leave the meeting rooms and the kitchen in original condition when the meeting ends.
- Items are not to be attached to walls, ceilings, or any other library property.
- The library reserves the right to change or cancel meeting and study room reservations at any time.
- All advertisements for programs held in the meeting rooms must state: NOT SPONSORED by HANCOCK COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY.
- Meeting and study rooms are available only during normal library hours, and meetings must adjourn fifteen minutes before closing.
- Use of meeting rooms will not be allowed to interfere with normal library operations.
- Adults must reserve a meeting room, and minors must be supervised by a responsible adult before, during, and following the activity.
- Advance arrangements must be made to use the library’s available technology. Users must provide their own laptop when connecting to a library projector. The library's room reservation system gives a complete menu of available technology.
- Reservations at the Central Library in Greenfield may be made in advance by calling the information desk at (317) 462-5141, ext. 240. Reservations at our New Palestine location can also be made in advance by calling (317) 861-6618.
- Reservations must be made one week prior to the date requested.
- Reservations are taken in the order received and will not be booked more than two (2) months in advance.
- A group may not schedule more than four (4) meetings in a calendar year in the Central Library’s GBC Community Room or the branch's Eli Lilly Technology room without special permission from the Director.
Computer Lab, Greenfield
HCPL will make the computer lab available to outside groups in an attempt to utilize the facility to its maximum potential. Availability is dependent on the schedule of library-sponsored classes, training and maintenance. In addition to the “Policy Regarding Use of Rooms for Non-Library-Sponsored Activities,” the following apply:
- The computer lab is intended for classroom education and requires an instructor (non-HCPL staff) to be in the room at all times.
- Use is limited to the software and programs already available on the computers. Other software may not be installed.
- To ensure the safety of minors, the library will run a background check on all adult instructors and chaperones working with those under the age of 18.
- Search information must be submitted to the library at least 10 days prior to the scheduled class session. An incomplete background check will result in cancellation of the session. Cost of the background check will be paid by the sponsoring group requesting use of the room.
- HCPL’s Policy on Patron Behavior and Policy on Unattended Children apply, and sponsoring groups or individuals will be held responsible to ensure that there are no violations.
Study rooms are also available at our Greenfield location. The following apply to the scheduling and use of study rooms.
- Study rooms may not be reserved more than one week in advance.
- Study rooms users are limited to two hours per day. The library reserves the right, based on community demand, to limit the number of days a group or individual may reserve a study room if necessary to serve the community’s needs equitably.
- Study rooms may be reserved at the Central Library in advance by phoning the information desk at (317) 462-5141, ext. 240 or via our Online Room Reservation Form. Reservations may also be made in person and must be confirmed in person by checking in at the information desk.
- There is no charge for the use of study rooms.
- The study room user must show personal identification at the time of the use of the study room.
- Users will be held responsible for any damage to a study room.
Room Use Fees
- All fees must be paid before or on the date of the meeting.
- Indiana sales tax will be charged on meeting room fees with the exception of non-profit organizations that present an Indiana Department of Revenue General Sales Tax Exemption Certificate at the time of payment. Without the Sales Tax Exemption Certificate, tax will be charged to non-profit organizations.
- Per-use fees are assessed in increments of 4 hours.
Meeting Rooms, GBC Community Room A & B
- Monday through Friday: $25.00 per side per use.
- Saturday and Sunday: $30.00 per side per use.
Computer Lab, Greenfield
- $40 per hour fee.
- Groups are expected to adhere to the time(s) reserved when using the facility. Additional fees can be incurred if class times exceed those requested.
Kitchen and Refreshments.
- Refreshments and non-alcoholic beverages may be served only in the meeting rooms. Food is not allowed in the library, except at designated times or in designated rooms. All drinks must be covered and will not be allowed in the Local History/Genealogy Room. Users are liable for any damage to library property and equipment caused by food or drink.
- Groups must bring their own set-ups (e.g., plates, silverware, cups, napkins, coffee, and condiments).
- The kitchen adjacent to the GBC Community Room is equipped with counters, sink, electrical outlets, refrigerator, oven, microwave, and a coffee maker. The kitchen is not designed to accommodate preparing and serving full meals, so the use of a caterer is recommended.
- The kitchen must be cleaned and left in the same condition as found.
Loss or Damage.
The Library assumes no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the meeting rooms.
Group members and guests will be responsible for any and all damage to rented space and equipment.
This policy is subject to revision at the discretion of the Hancock County Public Library.