Effective Date: June 13, 2017
We may change this Policy from time to time, in our discretion and without further notice. You should check this site periodically to view the current Policy. Any changes to this Policy will be posted to our website and the "Effective date" at the top of this Policy will be revised.
What We Collect
There may be instances, such as when you sign up for a library account on this site or pay library fines, when you are asked to provide certain personal information, such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, payment card data, and email address. It is always your choice to give us your personal information. If you choose not to provide such information, however, it may impact our ability to provide you with certain services or assistance. If you use or visit this site, you may review and request changes to your personal information collected through this site by accessing your online account or by contacting us as described below.
If you choose to pay your library fines online, you will be redirected to a third party site and asked to provide your personal information, including your payment information. As described elsewhere in this Policy, HCPL is not responsible for the privacy and security practices of this third party site. We recommend that you review the privacy policies of the third party site before choosing to provide your personal information.
At certain points on this site, you may have the opportunity to opt into receiving communications from us about library events or other marketing efforts. You may always opt out of receiving those communications by checking the appropriate box on the email, contact form, event registration, or by contacting us as provided below.
In general, you can visit our website without telling us who you are or providing any personal information. We use the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer (or similar computing device) which you use to access our website to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our site. Your IP address identifies your computer or device and allows us to gather broad demographic information on site visitors, but individual users will remain anonymous, unless you choose to tell us who you are.
Cookies and Other Technologies
In addition to the cookies HCPL delivers to your computer or mobile device through our sites, certain third parties may deliver cookies to you for a variety of reasons. For example, we use Google Analytics, a web analytics tool that helps us understand how visitors engage with our website. To learn more about Google Analytics, click here. If you do not want information about your visit to our site sent to Google Analytics, you may download an Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here. Please note that the Add-on does not prevent information from being sent to HCPL.
By choosing to use our website, you understand and agree to the following:
- Facebook may use data about actions you take on our website (“Event Data”) to provide HCPL with insights about the use of our site and to create custom audiences for HCPL for advertising. Event Data will also enable Facebook to better target ads and to optimize its systems. In connection with such targeting and optimization, Facebook will: (i) use Event Data collected from this site for ads optimization only after such Event Data has been aggregated with other data collected from other advertisers or third parties or otherwise collected on Facebook; and (ii) not allow other advertisers or third parties to target advertising solely on the basis of Event Data collected from our website;
- Event Data will not be disclosed to other advertisers or to third parties, unless Facebook has HCPL’s permission or is required to do so by law. Facebook will maintain the confidentiality and security of Event Data, including by maintaining technical and physical safeguards that are designed to protect the security and integrity of data while it is within Facebook's systems and guard against the accidental or unauthorized access, use, alteration or disclosure of data within Facebook's systems;
- HCPL has provided robust and sufficiently prominent notice to and obtained your necessary consent regarding the Event Data collection, sharing and usage enabled by the Facebook Tools;
- HCPL will not combine any information obtained in connection with the use of the Facebook Custom Audiences with personal information;
- HCPL will not share with Facebook information that HCPL knows or reasonably should know is from or about children under the age of 13 or that includes health, financial, or other categories of sensitive information (including any information defined as sensitive under applicable law); and
- Facebook may include notice in or around HCPL’s advertisements explaining that the ad is targeted, and HCPL will not modify, obscure, or otherwise interfere with these notices, including any technical components that enable users to access additional information or choice mechanisms.
Using Your Personal Information
We may use your personal information to gather data and statistics concerning visitors to our website and analyze such data to look for preferences and trends. If you permit us to do so, we may use your personal information to inform you of new services or to add you to our Facebook audiences. We may also use your personal information to respond to your requests for assistance, provide you services, or respond to any other questions you may have. You may revoke your permission to receive these communications at any time by contacting us as provided below, or by changing your preferences in your online account.
In general, and except as otherwise provided in this Policy, we may allow third party companies to collect anonymous information when you visit our websites. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, and time and date) during your visits to this site in order to provide advertisements or information about goods and services likely to be of interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or similar technology to collect this information.
Information We Share
We do not sell or otherwise disclose personal information about our website visitors outside HCPL, except as provided in this Policy. We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets, including through court proceedings. Any third party to whom we sell or transfer assets will have the right to continue to use your personal information in the manner described in this Policy.
We may share information provided by visitors to this site with service providers or vendors we have retained to perform services on our behalf or with whom we have other business agreements. These third parties are obligated to protect such information in a manner consistent with this Policy and are restricted from using or disclosing the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. We may disclose information about you in the following circumstances: (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process; (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials as required to comply with an authorized legal request; or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, property, or safety, or that of others, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
HCPL maintains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect against unauthorized disclosure, use, alteration or destruction of the personal information you provide on this site. We also employ reasonable technologies to help keep the personal information you provide on this site secure. We review and update our security practices periodically and as required by applicable laws or regulations.
When We Keep Your Information
Consistent with our policy on confidentiality of library records, we generally do not retain records relating to resources you have checked-out of HCPL, except as needed to ensure appropriate billing and return of library resources. HCPL will retain your personal information as needed to maintain this site and provide you with any services. We may retain your personal data if such retention is reasonably necessary to comply with any legal obligations, meet any regulatory requirements, resolve any disputes or litigation, or as otherwise needed to enforce this Policy and prevent fraud and abuse. If requested by a law enforcement authority, we may also retain your personal data for a period of time.
HCPL complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and applicable state laws. If you are a parent of a child under the age of 13 and wish to review, or prohibit further use or retention, of information your child has provided to us, you may contact us as provided below.
Links to Third Party Sites
As described elsewhere in the Policy, this site may contain links to third party websites for your convenience and information and to provide services on behalf of HCPL. These sites are not operated by HCPL and may have their own privacy statements or policies in place, which we recommend you review if you visit such sites. HCPL is not responsible for any third party websites that may be linked to or accessed through this site, including their privacy practices or their collection or use of your information. We disclaim any liability for damages of any kind arising from any misuse of your personal information by such websites.
Your California Privacy Rights